Want to take the family on a holiday that won’t break the bank? Nifty has investigated the good, the bad, and the ugly. Maybe you’re planning a romantic escape, or maybe it’s school holiday time again – why blow the budget? You might be surprised at the number of cheap getaways in your backyard.
The sunshine state! Beautiful beaches and stunning hinterlands – Queensland has so much to offer. If you’re looking for a cheap holiday destination that’s not going to break the bank, why not check these out.
The Gold Coast
The goldy, what’s not to love! It’s a hotspot that has something for everyone – quite literally! From white sand beaches to thrilling theme parks, the glittery Gold Coast has so much to offer. If you’re in the mood for a beach day, the Gold Coast is only a short 50-minute drive from Brisbane City and, the good news is, the beach won’t break the bank (wink, wink). But, if you’re happy to splash a little cash then there are some seriously delicious places to grab a meal! Here’s what we recommend:
- Frida Sol, Palm Beach – Amazing Mexican food that really is a steal! Stop by for $5 Taco’s on a Thursday and, wait for it… $5 sangrias!
- Burgster, Palm Beach – We definitely recommend stopping by for $1 oyster happy hour! This runs from 3 – 5 pm every Friday afternoon.
- Backbone Bar, Tugan – If you’re looking for an awesome selection of craft beer then head on down! On Thursdays Backbone Bar are even offering $5 bao! If you head down on a Sunday you can pair your beers with $1 dumplings.
- Tupe Aloha Bar & Grill, Kirra – This GC cheap eat is providing the goods with a whole range of different deals like: three tacos for $10 on Taco Tuesdays, 2-4-1 burritos on Wednesdays, $10 Tiki taster plates on Thursdays, or $3 tacos and cheap drinks during happy hour (3pm-5pm daily).
If you’ve done enough eating to last you for the rest of the year then it might be time for some exercise. If you love the great outdoors then the Gold Coast has a lot to offer in the way of hiking. Why not give these stunning walks a go:
- Tamborine Mountain Skywalk
- Natural Bridge in Springbrook National Park
- Burleigh Heads National Park
- Mount Warning
If you’re into the more remote island vibe for your cheap getaway then Fraser Island’s stunning coast will be right up your ally. With crystal clear lakes and miles and miles of awesome fishy spots, it’s a paradise for anyone that loves the natural beauty our country has to offer. The barge ticket across won’t set you back much either – usually between $150 – $200. We recommend camping on the beach if you would prefer to keep things on the cheaper side, however, there are plenty of places to stay. Here’s some must do’s whilst visiting Fraser Island:
- Lake Mckenzie – this perched lake, made up of only rainwater, can be found in the middle of the island. With its crystal clear water and scenic location, this is definitely one of the most visited Island sites and a must do!
- Central Station – this historical site was originally established as a forestry camp before the Island got on world heritage list and logging was discontinued.
- Eli Creek – the largest creek on the eastern beaches of Fraser.
- Champagne Pools – Fraser Islands natural jacuzzi – a beautiful collection of rock pools that are filled with foaming ocean water as the waves crash over.
New South Wales
Looking for a great getaway in NSW? Good news, there is a lot to see and do! Here’s what should be on your list for the next long weekend.
Newcastle is a unique blend of beach culture and artistic influence. And, best of all, it’s only a short 2-hour drive from Sydney.
Newcastle is all about the beachy vibes, so take advantage of the sand beneath your toes! Here’s what we recommend you see and do:
- Hit up the Newcastle City Farmers Markets – you’ll find all the local produce you can poke a stick at!
- Explore the Foreshore Path by bike – grab a bike and head along the stunning foreshore. Bikes can be rented at Crowne Plaza or just outside the Maritime Museum – no better way to get around!
- ANZAC Memorial Walk – stretching 450 metres from Strzelecki Lookout to Bar Beach, this newly completed walk is a must do when in Newcastle.
The Blue Mountains
If you haven’t seen the blue mountains for yourself it is definitely a must do for your next weekend getaway! Only an hour and a half out of Sydney, the picturesque scenery coupled with the food, art and culture will have you dragging your feet all the way home!
Here’s just some of what you should see and do in this stunning part of the world:
- Kickaboom Coffee – this is seriously good coffee! You’ll need to fuel up before a big day of sightseeing… so, keep your eyes peeled for the big COFFEE sign!
- Leura Cascades – nature is always good for the bank account and the Blue Mountains have a lot of it!
- Three Sisters Walk – you can’t come to the blue mountains without visiting the three sisters! This one-of-a-kind rock formation is an absolute must see.
- Glow Worm Tunnel – a one of a kind experience in the heritage-listed Wollemi National Park. You can BYO torch and take a stroll through the 400m long tunnel.
We all know that Victoria is famous for its outstanding coffee and excellent culinary experiences but, where are the best weekend getaways that won’t break the bank? We’ve done the hard work for you.
The Dandenong Ranges
If you’re looking to escape the hustle and bustle of Melbourne City then the Dandenong Ranges will be right up your ally. Only an hours drive from Melbourne, the Dandenong Ranges have plenty of natural beauty and quaint little towns to offer. Here’s all the must do’s for this perfect weekend escape…
- Kokoda Memorial Walk – with 1000 steps in total, this is definitely a quad burner. But, we promise the scenery is worth the hike! There’s nothing quite like it.
- Olinda – If you’re up for the village feel then we recommend taking a drive through the winding mountain roads of Olinda. There’s plenty in the way of amazing culinary experiences and we particularly recommend being on the lookout for the Olinda Sweet Co.
There is so much nature to see on Phillip Island – we think you will be pleasantly surprised. Only a 2-hour drive from Melbourne and you would think you are in another world. Here are our top picks:
- The Fairy Penguin Parade – if you only do one thing on Phillip Island, this has to be it! It is an absolutely amazing experience for all ages.
- Nobbies Centre – after you’ve seen the penguins, why not check out the seals? Nobbies centre are the large offshore rocks that are home to Australia’s largest colony of fur seals.
- Koala Conservation Centre – if you love nature this is a must do. See Koala’s in their natural habitat (a great experience if you’re taking the kids!)
Travelling On A Budget
If you’re looking at cheap getaways that won’t break the bank our hot tip is to plan ahead!
- Book accommodation early. If you’re planning on an overnight stay, do your research. It’s worth finding out what your trip is going to cost before heading off.
- Ask for suggestions. Hotel staff can offer suggestions regarding the fastest way to get around town and the best value when it comes to food and experiences.
- Pack your own lunch. If you’re heading off on a day trip, why not pack your own lunch? This could save you a considerable amount of cash.
- Look for the best flight deals. If you’re planning on heading inter-state then it’s a good idea to check out cheap flights.
- Cheap flights for students. Remember, students can often get flight at discounted rates. Check out agents like Student Flights for deals.
- Affordable tours. It might be handy to check out less expensive tour options… for example, hiring a bike to sightsee.
- Weekend getaway deals for couples. Deals for couples really do exist, sometimes you even get a discount! So, this is something to look into (especially if you want to split the cost).
- Best day to book flights. Yep, it’s a thing. There are certain days when flights are cheaper, so keep an eye out!
Want To Know More?
At Nifty, we’re the lender with a difference. We want to help you with the cash you need as quickly as possible. Our team is friendly and down-to-earth. So, why not check out a travel loan today? The application is 100% online and you could do it on your smartphone in just minutes! So, don’t sacrifice your next weekend away, let Nifty lend a hand!
Nifty has the latest hidden hotspots to visit this weekend.
Need some tips on how to save your moolah? Nifty has you covered.
Visit this year’s Brisbane Festival for stacks of free events you can share with friends.