Fitness trackers are taking the fitness world by storm right now. With companies such as Fitbit, Samsung, and Apple constantly bringing out new models, it appears that fitness trackers are here to stay. Not too sure what they are or how they work? Well, settle down and let Nifty look after your physical health as well as your financial health with a run through of their many perks and advantages.
What exactly are fitness trackers?
To put it quite simply, fitness trackers are handy little devices that record a bunch of different activities that you do throughout the day. Think of them as your own personal coach or even a health and wellness tracker. They count your steps, monitor your heart rate, track your sleep habits and some even have inbuilt GPS to tell you how far you have walked or run! Handy, right? And with each new model that is developed, they are becoming more sophisticated, able to do more things.
What’s the difference between a fitness tracker and a smartwatch?
This is a question that is asked commonly. A smartwatch will have all the benefits of a fitness tracker, with a few additional benefits as well. Answer calls and messages, check social media (win!), and listen to music all from the comfort of your wrist! That’s super handy for those of us who don’t like taking their phones with them when exercising.
But with great power, comes great responsibility. Or in this case, a few added cons to balance out those neat extra features. Smartwatches tend to be heavier and bulkier, which can lead to a bit of discomfort during extended workouts. Their battery life will also be shorter. Some will also have a bunch of apps you’re probably not going to use. Keep in mind that they’re going to be more expensive as you’re paying for a heap of extra features.
If you like the sound of being able to leave your phone at home and you’re willing to spend a bit more then a smartwatch may be the way to go for you.
Fitbit has recently launched several new versions of their fitness trackers.
The Fitbit Alta HR is the ultimate fitness device to accompany you through the day and into the night (ever wondered just how many kilometres or steps you danced away last Saturday night?). The Fitbit Alta HR is definitely a strong contender for top spot. It has a bunch of awesome features including auto-sleep tracking, reminders to get up and move and auto exercise recognition that makes it super easy to use. With a battery life of up to 7 days, this fitness tracker really does everything you could need it to do, all at a relatively affordable price! No wonder it won the “2017 Fitness Tracker of the Year”!
The Fitbit Charge 2 is also another stellar piece of technology from Fitbit. If you’re looking for a tracker that can differentiate between the types of exercises you’re doing (we’re looking at you, gym junkies) then this is the tracker for you. Its multi-sport mode will display stats on all types of workout including running, HIIT, yoga and weights! Another great perk of the Charge 2 is the silent alarm. No more waking up with a shock to your blaring alarm. The Fitbit will slowly wake you up with a silent alarm. As an added extra, the Charge 2 will also let you know if you have messages on your connected smartphone. Handy, right?
Interested in learning more about what the Fitbit fitness trackers can do?
Here’s a quick list of some of the other impressive features FitBit fitness trackers have, all with the purpose of enhancing your life.
This feature creates personalised workouts by tracking your fitness to help you reach your fitness goals. The device is designed to get to know you and your habits and develop personalised exercise routines for you! It also gives you personal recommendations for parts of the body you should focus on exercising.
This is a great feature for those runners out there. It tracks where you walk, run and ride. When you put it into run mode, bike mode or hike mode, it displays the statistics of that workout, and at the end of the workout it will give you a performance summary. Since the Fitbit is designed with an integrated antenna, it can access global satellites, which means you’ll get incredibly clear statistics no matter where you are.
Heart rate monitor
One key feature is the heart rate monitor. The Fitbit Ionic Fitness Trackers allow you to see what your real-time heart rate is. This tells you whether you’re in a fat burn zone, cardio or peak zone. It helps you to make the most of your workout by encouraging you to turn up the intensity of it.
Other fun features
- Some of the other features Fitbits offer are guided breathing exercises.
- They can help you to manage your overall health, uncover your sleeping patterns, figure out your resting heart rate and get cardio fitness level.
- Another great perk? You can choose your own band to personalise your Fitbit! From bands designed for sports, sophisticated leather bands or other colour options, you really can personalise your Fitbit to your own style
- It also has a bunch of other great features that make everyday life easier.
How much do Fitbit fitness trackers cost?
Now that you’re up to date with the perks the Fitbit can offer you, what’s the price tag?? For all the features they contain, the Fitbit Alta or Charge 2 can be yours for as little as $149.99!
What about other fitness trackers?
The Fitbit fitness trackers aren’t the only fitness trackers out there. If you’re looking for different features than you have a heap of alternative options. These options vary in both price and features, from simple and affordable to the feature-packed, but slightly more expensive. Have a look at some of the alternatives below!
Here are some of the other popular fitness trackers on the market:
- Tomtom Sports – Tomtom sells a series of sports watches that are designed for different sports or activities. Choose from the Get Fit fitness watch, the Tomtom runner watch, the Tomtom adventurer watch, the Tomtom golf watch, and the Activity Tracker.
- Moov Now – these fitness trackers don’t have screens, but allow you to track your movements through an app on your phone. They’re waterproof, and have a battery life of 6 months! They’re also comparably cheap compared to the other options on the market.
- Samsung Gear Fit – Another trending fitness tracker pulling in some great reviews, the Gear Fit allows you to track your fitness through your phone. Its waterproof, has a built-in activity tracker and has a battery life of 3 days.
- Apple Watch Series – finally you may want to have a look at Apple watches from the Apple Watch Series. With the Apple Watch you get all the perks and advantages of a smartwatch with the added benefit of a fitness tracker.