Budget Food With A Fresh Twist
Nifty has the recipes you need to try this summer!
Healthy meals don’t always have to break the bank, you can enjoy budget food with a fresh twist so long as you’re willing to get creative! Our team have done their research, and not only do we offer handy little personal loans, we’re pretty nifty in the kitchen as well. So, if you’re looking for a fresh spin on some old favourites this summer, keep reading to see what our team are cooking up.
By the way, if you need information on small loans, check out our link now.
Budget Food Recipes: 3 quick & easy recipes with a fresh twist!
Did you know you don’t even have to leave the house? Simply shop for food online at a place that offers fresh food delivery. If you’re concerned about your budget for groceries this month, you can always consider a personal loan to get you through until the next payday.
1. Hannah’s chicken and mushroom risotto
When it comes to budget food with a fresh twist, Hannah’s take on the classic risotto is a must. Hannah just can’t pass up a good chicken and mushroom risotto and the best part is her recipe won’t break the bank! For a new twist on an old favourite, Hannah liked to add a little bit of kale and pesto. Not only is it delicious, but it’s extremely good for you! Kale is extremely high in fibre, antioxidants, calcium and Vitamin K. Kale is also an amazing source of Vitamin C and iron.
Hannah’s Budget Food Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need to whip up Hannah’s favourite risotto:
- 400g of cup mushrooms
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 rashes of bacon
- 2 cups of arborio rice
- 1.25L of chicken stock
- 1 ½ cups of chopped kale leaves
- ½ cup of basil pesto
- 2 tbsp of lemon juice
Hannah tells us that you need to:
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees and line a roasting pan with baking paper. Arrange the mushrooms and chicken and put it to one side.
- Add one tbsp of oil to the pan and wait for it to heat up. Cook the onion and bacon for about 4 mins;
- Then you’ll need to stir in the rice and chicken stock and cover the pan with a tight-fitting lid. Cook the rice for about 30 minutes or until it’s tender.
- Whilst the rice is cooking, drizzle the mushrooms and chicken with oil, salt and pepper. Put the mushrooms and chicken in the oven to bake for about 20 minutes.
- While you’re waiting, blend the kale with the pesto and lemon juice;
- When the risotto is ready, just add the chicken and mushrooms as well as kale pesto and you’re ready to go! Who said cheap, healthy food had to be complicated?
2. Ellen’s simple walnut crusted salmon
Ellen is always on the hunt for budget food with a fresh twist. It’ll only take you an extra 30 seconds with the food processor to make the walnut crusted crust, but Ellen can guarantee it’s well worth it. Although salmon isn’t often the first thing most people think of when it comes to the best food to buy on a budget, this recipe doesn’t have to cost you an arm and a leg. Ellen says you can pair the salmon with either roasted veggies or mashed potato.
Salmon is an amazing source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids, so this simple and delicious meal is a healthy alternative to classic fish and chips!
Ellen’s Ingredients For A Budget Meal
Here’s what you’ll need to whip up this delicious dinner in just minutes:
- Olive oil, as needed
- 1 salmon fillet
- 425g of bread crumbs
- 110g of chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon of mustard
- 1 tablespoon of honey
Ellen says to:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and oil some baking paper;
- Place the salmon fillet skin down on an oiled baking paper;
- In a food processor, combine the breadcrumbs, walnuts, honey and mustard. Process the ingredients until they are well combined;
- Spread the walnut crust over the salmon and bake for approximately 12-15 minutes. The crust should be golden brown.
3. Ben’s 10-minute cheesy gnocchi and meatball bake
While it’s not the healthiest of healthy food recipes, if you’re looking for comfort food on a budget – it’s a winner! Ben loves a good pasta and this one is both simple and cheap. Cooking isn’t your strong suit? No worries, Ben tells us that his pasta can be whipped up in just a few minutes by the simplest of cooks. It’s so delicious – you’ll definitely be going back for seconds.
Ben’s Budget Food Ingredients
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 1 red capsicum;
- 1 red onion;
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil;
- 3 fresh chorizo sausages;
- 400g bottle of red wine and garlic pasta sauce;
- 500g packet of gnocchi;
- 1 cup of grated three cheese mix.
Ben starts by:
- Boil the kettle and heat a deep ovenproof frying pan over medium heat. You will also need to set the oven grill on high;
- While the pan is heating up, chop the capsicum and onion;
- Add olive oil to the pan. Slice the end of the sausages and squeeze the inside of the casing into the pan. Cook for 1 minute until the sausages start to brown. Then add the chopped capsicum and onion and cook for about 2 minutes or until the veggies start to soften;
- Add the sauce and stir;
- While the sauce is cooking, tip the hot water into a pot and bring to the boil. Cook the gnocchi until they start to rise to the surface. When the gnocchi is done simply drain the water;
- Add the gnocchi to the sauce and toss until combined. Tip into an ovenproof tray and sprinkle with cheese;
- Bake in the oven for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted – then enjoy!
Shopping for Fresh Food? Here are some budgeting tips:
- Shop on a full stomach! Do not go shopping when you’re hungry because you’ll probably just ended up buying way more than you actually need.
- Go with a list. Make sure that when you head to the grocery shop you have a plan. If you know what you’re there to purchase then you’re less likely to impulse buy.
- Plan your meals before you go shopping so that you know exactly what you’re there to buy.
- Shop once a week and set yourself a reasonable food budget. This way you are less likely to buy things you don’t need.
- Look out for the best deals. Try to plan the week’s meals around what is on special at the time.
- Try buying fresh food from the markets. It’s often cheaper and you can score some great deals on seasonal fruit and veg.
Broken Your Budget On Food?
If you’re struggling to stick to your food budget week after week, Nifty could help! We’re the leader in Aussie online lending with our quick cash loans. We love helping our applicants get the cash they need when they need it, so our team doesn’t mess around. Not many of us have time for waiting in a long line or filling out pages and pages of paper forms.
Nifty is 100% online. So, that means you won’t even have to leave the house to apply for a personal loan. Our application form could only take you a couple of minutes to complete. If you choose to apply during AEST business hours a member of our team will do their best to get back to you with an outcome in 60 minutes!
Who can apply for a personal loan?
To be eligible for a personal loan with Nifty, you’ll need to meet the following criteria:
- Applicants must have an active mobile phone number and email address;
- You must have internet banking set up;
- All applicants must be over the age of 18;
- You have had a regular income for the last 3-months into a personal bank account;
- You must be able to prove you’re an Australian citizen or permanent resident.
What documents will I need to show Nifty?
At Nifty, we will need a few essential documents to properly assess your loan application. However, we will never ask you to provide paper payslips or fill out pages and pages of unnecessary forms. Here are the documents we suggest you have handy whilst completing your 100% online application form:
- Your personal details (name, D.O.B etc.);
- Internet Banking Details (so we can securely access read-only copies of your bank statements);
- You will need to provide us with the reason you are applying for a loan;
- Your MyGov details (if you receive Centrelink or Government benefits);
- Employment details and contact info of your workplace (we may need to get in contact to verify your employment status);
- All applicants must be able to prove they are either Australian citizens or permanent residents.
Find out more
Enjoyed reading our tips on cooking budget food with a fresh twist? Read up on all the latest in lifestyle news and personal finance tips on our blog! From discussions around impulse buying to finding the perfect summer holiday ideas, Nifty covers a wide range of topics to meet all tastes.
For further information on our loan products, don’t hesitate to reach out to our team today. We’re here to help in whatever way we can!