We’ve all been woken at 6 am by our ever persistent alarm and thought “I wish I could work from home today.” Snuggled up in bed, in our PJs, armed with a homemade coffee, smashing through work – for some, it’s a dream, for others, it’s a reality. Work from home jobs are increasingly becoming a driving force in the job market. And they are appealing to more and more working Australians. So, we thought we would see what all the fuss is about! We look at how to work from home the types of jobs, benefits and why more Australians are opting for this option.
The variety of work from home jobs
When it comes to working from home jobs, there are tons to choose from. With such variety in the mix, it can be hard to choose the best work from home jobs for you. Not only are there a myriad of different jobs to choose from, there are also different ways to work from home. You could work partly at home and partly in an office. Or if you’re a freelancer, you might like to escape home and work in a cafe or library once a week. The key to working from home is flexibility. You make the decisions. Hey, you could even work from your bathtub, just an idea!
We think these are the best work from home jobs
We love these jobs for their work-at-home benefits:
- Virtual assistant
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Web developer/designer
- Call centre representative
- Tech support specialist
- Travel agent
- Franchise owner
Some work from home jobs require previous training, and some you can learn on the go. So, it all depends on why you are searching for work from home jobs. Once you know why you can narrow your search to work from home jobs that suit your needs.
Why look for work from home jobs
Before beginning your search for work from home jobs, start thinking about why you’re looking to work from home. Here’s why you might need to look for more flexibility in your work location:
- Need control: Sometimes your life may demand you have more control over your schedule. Having the power to decide when to work and when you are needed elsewhere may be essential for some of you. Control not only refers to the location but also to your income. If you work for yourself you can set income goals and decide how much you want to earn.
- Flexibility: you may want a flexible schedule to pursue personal hobbies or spend time with your children
- Starting your own business: No one would disagree that starting your own business is pricey. That’s where Nifty Loans comes in! We offer business loans to help budding businesses start off on the right foot.
- Saving costs on a long commute
- Tax benefits: As a self-employed worker, you may be able to claim tax deductions on necessary work equipment. Check the ATO site for more info.
- Be your own boss
These are just some of the reasons why you may consider working from home. Whatever your reason may be, be confident it’s a good reason to embark on this new journey.
The benefits of working from home
- Work/home balance
In our 24-hour economy, some of you may find it hard to switch off. If you’re at home and thinking about work, you may not be present with your family, partner or enjoying some much needed R&R. Working from home can give you access to time with your family or yourself where you can truly switch off.
- Saving on gas
Calculate how much you spend on gas a week. Then, think about what you could do with that dough if you no longer had to drive to work. We’re guessing you could do an awful lot. When your home is your office, you can stop wasting your hard earned income on petrol and start investing in what you love.
- Avoid the long commute
Petrol isn’t the only thing you’re saving on when you work from home. If you suffer the perils of a long commute, you may be foaming at the mouth when you think about working from home. Cutting out your long commute means you can invest your time in hobbies, passions and family and friends.
- Fewer distractions
For you, it may be easier to concentrate at home, without the distractions of office banter. At work, you can find yourself beavering away when a colleague brings up an intriguing conversation about your latest tv show obsession then, half an hour may fly by without a productive minute.
- Zen atmosphere
Without the office banter, the home may have a zen-like atmosphere. Being surrounded by your own belongings will lead to a sense of peace and comfort, leading to greater productivity.
- More productivity
Again, without the distractions of work, you may find you are more productive at home. However, of course, there is the threat of home comforts distracting you too. More on that later!
- Less stressful atmosphere
Sometimes the pressure of work can be overwhelming, and it can be hard to take time out. Some employees find working from home eases some of the stress you can find at work. Being in your own space, where you can relax, may help to keep you stress-free and healthy.
If you are feeling overwhelmed at work but not looking to work from home permanently, you could have a chat to your boss about your mental health and ask for a chance to work from home temporarily.
- More time with family
Are your kids growing up before you get a chance to see? Well, consider work from home jobs. You may still work the same hours, however, your schedule becomes more flexible. As a result, you take a few hours off to go see your kids sports carnival! You’ll thank yourself for it in the long run.
- Your own space
At home, you can create your own space. You can decorate however you wish and do whatever increases your productivity. If you always wanted a standing desk, now is the time!
Why working from home benefits your employer
Don’t worry employers, we haven’t forgotten about you! For the employee, there are plenty of benefits from working from home. However, as an employer, there is a silver lining for you too.
The benefits of letting your employees work from home:
- If they have requested to work from home, they could be happier and more productive
- With the right technology, you’ll be more connected than ever! Enlist the help of Skype, and organisational tools like Trello and Slack.
- Cut down on office maintenance costs. One less person in the office means fewer people drinking all the milk and devouring all the snacks!
- Use it to your advantage by spinning work from home jobs into a marketing campaign for your business!
It’s certainly not a traditional idea for the workplace, however, with technology growing and ideas changing, it’s time to open your arms and embrace work from home jobs.
Why as an employee, you should occasionally work from home
It’s good to pinpoint the fact that work from home jobs don’t have to be a permanent arrangement. You could ask your boss for some time at home or simply ask for 2 days a week to work from home. If you’re interested, start the conversation with your boss and see what they are happy to offer. You never know!
Tips to find work from home jobs
Finding work from home jobs can be tricky, you have to navigate a minefield of online scams and falsehoods to find the gems. But don’t panic, that’s what we’re here for! We can give you the best tips for finding perfect work from home jobs:
- Tailor your job search: when you’re searching for jobs on SEEK, Indeed or Jora, use keywords like work home jobs or freelance
- If it’s too good to be true, it is
- Look carefully at the fine print of the job description: avoid jobs that work on commission only, unless you’re not looking for a secure income
- Avoid unsolicited emails: Unless you know the company, then avoid responding to emails from companies you’ve never heard of offering you a job
- Beware of promises: Tread lightly when an ad advertises that you’ll make thousands just in the first year
- Don’t spend money to get a job: Some online scams ask you to send them a fee before getting started in the position. When you see that, it’s time to run!
- When you’re organising a work from home job, ask for a list of references. Discover who else has worked with them
- Get freelancing! Think about freelancing. If you have skills in marketing, writing, web design, graphic design and more, you can find jobs on sites like Upwork or Toptal
Following these tips will land you a work from home job that just might be your perfect match! Speaking of online conveniences, did you know that Nifty Loans is 100% online? That means no paperwork loans, fast application and quick approvals. If you need a boost to your funds whilst you’re hunting for work at home jobs, you know where to turn!
How to masterwork from home jobs
Once you’ve made it through the maze of job searching or tackling the negotiations with your boss, congratulations. You’re officially working from home! Now, you might be lost. The realisation of this major lifestyle change is sinking in and you realise you have no idea how to work from home. Well, have no fear! As a result, here are some top tips on how master working from home:
- Stick to regular working hours
Schedule yourself regular hours and stick to them. Obviously, one of the major perks of work from home jobs is flexibility, so you can always adjust your work at home hours as needed.
- Separate your work and personal life
Don’t let your work life erode your personal life at home. Furthermore, working from home can risk the merging of your work and personal life. So, when it’s time to finish, turn off all your devices related to work and a enjoy a night of leisure.
- Organise, plan than organise again!
If you’re a professional planner, then working from home will suit you. To succeed at working from home, keep a close eye on all your upcoming tasks and your progress.
- Take breaks
When you feel your brain giving up, take a break. Take a walk, have some quality time with your furry friend, or make a cup of coffee. Take advantage of the freedom you’ve earned.
- Your at-home office
This tip may be the most crucial of them all. Have your very own at-home office. Working from home can pollute your personal space with your work. That’s the last thing you want. So, designate an area in the house that’s just for work, and only spend time in there when you’re working. To increase productivity add a touch of greenery to your at home office and spice things up with some powerful colours!
If you’re looking to update your home to suit your new lifestyle, why not consider a small home improvements loan?
- Keep your workspace clean
Take pride in your workspace, even if you’re the only one who’ll see it. Keep your zen up keeping your space nice and tidy!
- Let the music set you free
Put on your favourite tracks whilst you’re crushing your workload. Perhaps invest in a new pair of quality earphones. If you’re a bit short on cash after your transition to working from home, why not consider a short-term loan.
Let’s be friends
Work from home jobs can be a tough adjustment, however, if you stick with the new lifestyle change, you’ll find yourself happier at work and at home.
Love learning about the latest lifestyle trends to hit the shelves? Then discover all you need to know about changing your spending habits for a wealthier you!
Want more of Nifty Loans? Great! Follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Google + and also keep up to date with the more personal finance and lifestyle trends via our blog.